Medicare Choices in Arizona

If you are moving to Arizona, you need help navigating your Medicare choices. Medicare choices in Arizona vary from county to county, so it’s a good idea to get help from someone who knows the territory.

I recently helped a woman from California select a Medicare Advantage plan in Mohave County.  Another Californian is moving to Prescott in Yavapai County and I helped her find a plan that includes doctors recommended by her daughter. I am based in Tucson, so most of my clients are in southern Arizona – but I have clients throughout the state.

Mohave and Yavapai counties don’t have lots of Medicare Advantage choices, but they have a few.  If you are moving to Tucson or Phoenix, you have more than 30 plans to choose from, so you really need to talk to someone who knows how the plans differ.  Some plans have large networks while others have smaller networks.

If you have a stand-alone Part D plan, you will need to change to an Arizona plan.  This is an opportunity to make sure you are in the most cost-efficient plan for the prescriptions you take.  I can help you with that too.

Figuring out you Medicare choices in Arizona can be daunting, so don’t hesitate to ask for help.

Call me to talk about your Medicare choices, no matter which part of Arizona you will soon call home.  520-820-8639

For more information on Medicare, check out Medicareblog.org.

Denise Early
520-820-8639

  2 comments for “Medicare Choices in Arizona

  1. Kiyara
    December 11, 2016 at 7:05 am

    Hi Denise,

    My name is Kiyara, my father is moving to AZ in the east valley area from California. He is currently on medicare and medicaid in California, he is ESRD and recently started dialysis. Im looking for guidance in switching his plan to Arizona. Any guidance would be appreciated.

  2. Editor
    December 11, 2016 at 11:36 am

    Being on dialysis certainly complicates your father’s situation – and it changes his options for Medicare coverage.

    Because he is on dialysis, he cannot get a Medicare Advantage plan. I don’t know if he has one in California, but he won’t be able to enroll in one in AZ.

    He will use his Medicare card and he can enroll in Arizona Medicaid in order to get his co-pays covered. Dialysis is very expensive and Medicare only covers 80% of the cost. Medicaid covers the other 20% – so you don’t want to have a gap in his Medicaid coverage.

    To qualify for Medicaid in Arizona his income must be less than $1,010 per month.

    Medicaid in AZ is known as AHCCCS (pronounced “access”).

    To enroll in AHCCCS, you need to do an online application, or else the process takes 45 days. The approval process should be about two weeks if you do the online application.

    The website for applying for help is: https://www.healthearizonaplus.gov

    You need to be very mindful of the timing of your father’s move to AZ so you don’t have a gap in his Medicaid coverage. But then again, he has to be an Arizona resident to get AZ AHCCCS/Medicaid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *